Google

03 October 2013

6 Ways To Add Info To The Outlook Calendar

Outlook icon Two of the kalmstrom.com products – TimeCard and Calendar Browser – build on the Outlook calendar. These add-ons are easy to learn for people who are already using Outlook to plan their time, but I have understood that some new users on our products have never worked with the Outlook calendar before.

They need some basic information, and I have therefore recorded a few video demonstrations on how to use the Outlook calendar. These tutorials will be good for new users of TimeCard and Calendar Browser, but I hope they will be useful for others too.

Create new appointments
In my demo I show six ways to add an appointment to the Outlook calendar. You can see a list of them in the kalmstrom.com Tips article about Outlook appointments. The last method in the list is dragging an e-mail to the calendar, and the same can be done with tasks and notes.

Outlook New Appointment buttonThe New Appointment button is perhaps most used, but I actually think there are several better ways to create an appointment. It is more convenient to work directly in the calendar, without pressing a button first. I show how to do it in the demo.

Change and copy appointments
When you want to change the time span for an appointment, or move it to another day, you can also do it directly in the calendar, without opening the appointment first.

To copy an appointment, use the Crtl + C (= copy) and Ctrl + V (= paste) commands. These commands are very useful for copy and paste, and just like Ctrl + X for "cut" they can be used in many different contexts. When it comes to copying or cutting appointments, using these keys is actually the only way, as Microsoft has not given a button or a right click command for these functions.

Excel Functions button
Color code appointments
My own calendar is full of different kinds of appointments, and to get a better overview I like to color code them. I code my appointments after content, so that I have one color for journeys, one color for private events, one for teaching and so on. That way I can quickly find the appointment I am looking for.

Do the same with kalmstrom.com software
TimeCard for Outlook logotypeWhen you use TimeCard for time reporting or Calendar Browser for resource booking you basically do just like I show in the video.

With TimeCard the only difference is that you select a few tags from dropdowns in the appointments to convert them in into time reporting sheets.

Calendar Browser logo And when you want to book a resource with Calendar Browser you make an appointment in the calendar of that resource, instead of creating it in your personal calendar.



After this I will record a demo about how to send, accept and change invitations in the Outlook calendar. If you liked this demo, you are welcome back!

By Peter Kalmstrom
CEO and Systems Designer
kalmstrom.com Business Solutions

No comments:

Post a Comment