Google

04 September 2015

Teachers – Gurus and Role Models

I am glad that I once again get a chance to write a few words in respect of Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam and also have the honor to write about other great personalities and Indian culture.

Here in India we have a tradition of celebrating Teacher’s Day. This day is celebrated on the birthday of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, an Indian philosopher and statesman who was the first Vice President and the second President of India. He was born on 5 September 1888, and since 1962 Indians celebrate his birthday as a Teacher’s Day.

Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan was a professor Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan of philosophy and appointed to the most important philosophy chair in India, King George V Chair of Mental and Moral Science at the University of Calcutta. He represented the University of Calcutta at the Congress of the Universities of the British Empire and the International Congress of Philosophy at Harvard University.

Another important Indian teacher was Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. He was the 11th President of India, and after his presidency, he dedicated the rest of his life to teaching. Abdul Kalam was a professor at various universities in India, and he passed away during a lecture at IIM, Shillong. He became an inspiration for all teachers, and his passion towards teaching will always be saluted.
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
In India we call our teachers ‘Guru’, and we used to worship them. We have grown up with the belief of that our teachers are God, because they teach us to identify with God. I want to share a shloka (couplet of Sanskrit verse) from our Sanskrit study book, which we were taught from childhood and which represents our emotion.

We believe that the Deities Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh are the creators of this world.

 गुरुर्ब्रह्मा गुरुर्विष्णुर्गुरुर्देवो महेश्वरः 
गुरुरेव परं ब्रह्म तस्मै श्रीगुरवे नमः

This means: “The Guru (teacher) is the representative of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Guru is verily Para Brahma (Supreme Brahman), salutations to that Guru.”
Ancient Gurukul
Nowadays this is not very true, but in our old stories and mythology teachers are at the place of God. However, it is still true that we respect our teachers highly.

Being a teacher is not easy, it is like a philosophical puzzle. Teachers have the responsibility to groom students and guide them towards the right path to enlighten their future. Teachers are a significant part of our life, and if we are successful today, credit goes to our teachers everywhere.

On the day of celebration teachers allow students to take classes instead of them, and the students go school in dress up like teachers. I remember that I imitated my favorite teacher and tried to teach like she did. The Teacher’s Day is filled with fun and laughter.

Today we have an occasion to express our gratitude towards teachers and role models, so I won’t hesitate to thank my teachers. There have been lots of teachers in my life who developed my bookish knowledge, which is very important.

Kate Kalmstrom image However, I especially want to thank Mrs. Kate Kalmstrom, who has taught me how to make practical use of that bookish knowledge. She helped me to see what I could be, so I want to thank Kate from the bottom of my heart for her precious time and her patience. Because of her generosity, I have seen a huge positive change in my life.

Rituka Rimza image I wish all my teachers and readers a Happy Teacher’s Day!


Rituka Rimza
Sales and Marketing Assistant
kalmstrom.com Business Solutions 

No comments:

Post a Comment