Google

15 January 2014

SharePoint Web Part With JavaScript and HTML5

JavaScript logoA Web Part is a fundamental buidling block of SharePoint pages. It can be added to any page, usually to let the user view or interact with data.  In a new tutorial in the Tips section of the kalmstrom.com website I show how to create a web part with the help of JavaScript and other HTML5 techniques.

Sandboxed solution
I create my web part in a sandboxed solution for SharePoint 2010.  This must be done on a computer that has a local installation of SharePoint, but when the web part has been published it can be uploaded to another site. As I create the web part in SharePoint 2010, I can use it in SharePoint 2013 and Office 365 SharePoint too.

JavaScript
JavaScript is a useful language that we utilize a lot in the kalmstrom.com solutions. Our JavaScript team is led by Software Developer Sharad Verma, but I also take an active part in the coding.
Visual Studio icon
From project to .wsp
I don't only show JavaScript code in the tutorial. I also describe how to create a new C# SharePoint 2010 project in Visual Studio and go through all the steps needed before I can publish it as a WSP file. There is a step by step instruction in the Tips article about this web part demo.
Kanban Task Manager SharePoint icon
The WSP file can now be uploaded to any other SharePoint site and activated there in the same way as you do with the kalmstrom.com solution Kanban Task Manager for SharePoint.

Advanced
The demo is rather long, 15 minutes, and if you are new to SharePoint development you might find it difficult. Some of the kalmstrom.com Tips are basic, while others are advanced, and this one has its place in the advanced group.

The final result doesn't do much, but I believe it is a good starting point for building your own HTML 5 web part!



By Peter Kalmstrom
CEO and Systems Designer
kalmstrom.com Business Solutions

No comments:

Post a Comment