Google

16 February 2016

Make in India - We Already Do!

This past weekend the Swedish Prime Minister visited India to promote business between the two countries. I can only say, go ahead! Since more than ten years I have very good experiences of cooperation with the Indians.

Make in India Week
The reason the Swedish Prime Minister went to India precisely this week, is the big trade fair in Mumbai, Make in India Week. The main goal of the event is to show India’s potential to emerge as a global manufacturing hub.
Peter, Jayant and Vijayant Rimza
India is a country with high growth and a well educated middle class, and foreign investments can give work to millions in this country of more than a billion inhabitants. Such a development would hopefully also make India overcome its current problems with huge income gaps, a serious lack of infrastructure and a widespread corruption.

Ikea expansion
Business executives from several big companies, like Ikea, Saab and Scania, joined the Prime Minister at the trade fair. The furniture giant Ikea is especially eager to enter the Indian market. Next summer India will have its first Ikea store, and the company is planning for 25 Indian stores within ten years.

I remember when I first visited an Ikea store abroad. It was in Sevilla in Spain, and I wondered about the strange furniture names, so difficult to understand and pronounce in Spanish. Not until I saw the typical Swedish letters å,ä and ö, did I realized that the names were Swedish, not Spanish!  Later I learned that the Swedish furniture names are kept all over the world, so I guess more people that I have had problems with them.

kalmstrom.com in India
TimeCard for Outlook logotypeWhen I decided to join the Skype team – less than 100 people at that time! – in 2005, I had already begun cooperating with an Indian company in New Delhi, at first on a special version of TimeCard and later with dedicated developers on our other products.

That was how I first got in touch with Jayant Rimza, who is now head of the kalmstrom.com office in Indore. I have never regretted that I decided to grow in India, but I must admit that our Indian partners are an important explanation to our success.
The kalmstrom.com team at Maheshwar
Find a partner
Based on my experience with Jayant and his family, my advice to other Swedish companies who want to establish themselves in India is to find good Indian partners who can guide you. Do that, and I wish you all good luck!

Peter Kalmström
CEO and Systems Designer
kalmstrom.com Business Solutions

No comments:

Post a Comment